The well established and highly successful product range of Mepilex® Border continues to grow and innovate. Working together with healthcare professionals and patients, Mölnlycke Health Care has developed Mepilex® Border Heel – a new advanced bordered dressing specifically shaped for the management of wounds located on the heel. Mepilex Border Heel will enable healthcare professionals to reduce costs thanks to the benefits of the unique 5-layer absorbent foam structure consisting of Safetac® technology, and the dressing’s fit-for-purpose shape, which eliminates the need for additional fixation.
Mepilex Border Heel is the latest addition to the Mepilex Border range of dressings with Safetac technology. Safetac is the adhesive layer of the dressing, which gently adheres to the skin without sticking to moist surfaces, minimising damage to the wound and the surrounding skin by sealing the wound margins and thereby preventing exudate from escaping1,2,3. This protects the newly formed tissue and promotes natural healing benefitting both patients and healthcare organisations alike by minimising trauma and pain, allowing for optimised healing, which will result in lower costs.
The heel is the second-most likely location (after the sacrum) to develop pressure ulcers4,5. Due to its shape, managing wounds on the heel often proves difficult and sometimes requires the clinician to custom-cut dressings. Mepilex Border Heel is the perfect solution, providing the necessary adhesive capability to allow for greater patient mobility while at the same time reducing the need for additional dressing changes.
Heel wounds are protected from outside pressure, friction and shear, thanks to the dressing's stability, making Mepilex Border Heel ideal for treating and preventing pressure ulcers. The two-part foam pad, consisting of the 5-layer absorbent foam structure, redistribute shear and pressure, reduce friction, and maintain an optimal microclimate.
The original Mepilex Border, the first bordered foam dressing with Safetac technology, was launched in 2001 and has since become a well established and highly successful product range worldwide. Mepilex® Border Sacrum launched in 2007 was the first dressing in the product range with a dedicated anatomical shape for the sacrum. Mepilex Border Heel is the latest addition to the range together with Mepilex® Border Flex.
- Meaume S. et al. A study to compare a new self adherent soft silicone dressing with a self adherent polymer dressing in stage II pressure ulcers. Ostomy Wound Management, 2003.
- Feili F et al. Retention capacity. Poster presentation at the EWMA conference, Lisbon, Portugal 2008.
- Wiberg A.B. et al. Preventing maceration with a soft silicone dressing: in-vitro evaluations. Poster presented at the 3rd Congress of the WUWHS, Toronto, Canada, 2008.
- Results of nine international pressure ulcer surveys: 1989-2005. Ostomy Wound Management; 54(2). Vangilder C et al; 2008.
- Prospective Pilot Study of Atypical PU Presentation in a Skilled geriatric Nursing Unit; Jaul E et al Ostomy Wound Manage. 2011 Feb.